Running is the highest form of free time activity you can do in these modern times. It will keep your body healthy, so that you live longer and better, it will make you able to get rid of overweight, it will train you for surviving a world without modern technology, and maybe most important it is really fun, you can utterly enjoy it, if you do it right. Doing it right means not running too fast and not request to much from your body. You run rightly, if you would for the whole running time be able to normally talk to somebody who would run alongside you. You can get serious damage if you overburdon your body! My father lost about 25 kg (from over 100 to less than 80) by running almost every day up to 16 km for a year, now his feet often hurt when he only walks normally (he is 54). You should maybe consider to buy shoes that are specifically made for running, I recently bought some for 100 €. They are expencive, but they are worth their price, you can run over sharp stones without feeling them and your joints and your feet in generell are much more protectet from being damaged over time.
This is how I go running:
– I run every second day 5 km (as recommended by a friend of me), and I will not increase this distance, I will only increase the speed, but I will not actively do this, it will slowly come with time and automatically.
– I start to run at sunset. This time is pretty much perfect, the light is gone, but the darkness is not yet here, further at this point of the day it is not that hot in summer.
– I run at the fields (and sometimes in the forest) near my home village. The smell of fresh country air and nature is a major motivator for running.
– I wear running shoes and run with music (So I am using modern technology for a good cause, although I am against modern technology in generell). You can use any music you like, perfect would be something that is fast enough to motivate you to run, but not too fast, so that it motivates you to overburdon your body. Personally I often listen to Iron Maiden’s “Somewhere in Time”, especially the song “Long Distance Runner”.
– When I for any reasons do not want or cannot run, I simply partially or wholly walk the 5 km.
Maybe one of the worst things of running wrong (i. e. too fast, overburdoning your body) is that you will not enjoy running and that you will not be motivated to do it anymore, it will feel as if you will go to work. The opposite is the case, if you run rightly (i. e. not too fast, slow enough to be able to talk normally), you will look forward to running the whole day and you will feel extremely good when you have managed to run the 5 km. It will physically and spiritually heal you from (some of) the symptoms of the rotten everyday life of this modern age.
So, all in all, there are 2 ways of proving, if you do it right or not. 1st You do it wrong, when you are so run out of breath that you could not talk normally for the whole running time. 2nd You do it wrong, if you do not enjoy it and if it does not give you an extremely good feeling.
If you encounter, that you do it wrong there is one simply way to correct it: Slow down (if necessary walk). If you are so motivated to run, so that you cannot wait 2 days, do a different but simmilar thing on days between the running days, but do not run every day. Such simmilar things would be riding your bike or go swimming.
The worst thing you can do is to think anything like this “I am to heavy for running. It will not work with me, and if it should work, it will be a torture to me, so never mind.” It works with everyone, I am 21 years old, 1.75 m tall and had 103 kg. I went running and made 93 out of the 103, then I stopped, because I had no good running shoes and encountered that I was doing it wrong, that I was running too fast. This made 95 kg out of the 93. Now I go running again and I am doing it right this time (or at least I am pretty sure to do so). So I am pretty heavy and it works anyway. You might say “Well, you had 100 kg, I have 150 [or even more], it will surely not work with me.” Well, then simply start with walking, instead of running, everything is better than nothing and big trees grow out of tiny roots.